Healthy Mango Fro-yo
Summer is finally here in Melbourne and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious frozen treat?!
Mangoes are one of my all time favorite fruits - it could be the Sri Lankan part of my heritage - or it could be just my great taste - but I just cannot get enough of mangoes.
Full of antioxidants Vitamin C and Vitamin A - making it great for skin and eye health, as well as protecting your immune health. This is perfect for using up extra mangoes that might go to waste.
This recipe combines two great loves of mine - mango and natural yoghurt - for a tart, fresh and protein rich dessert that can be enjoyed on these beautiful balmy evenings.
You can also swap the mango for another seasonal fruit!
Healthy Mango Fro-yo
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 cup Natural full fat yoghurt
- 1 cup Mango, chopped
If you like you can also add:
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- Grab your blender or food processor and blitz all the ingredients until combined.
- Pour into a small container, Popsicle mould or ice cube tray and freeze
- Try sprinkling over some fresh mint. Before freezing you can even try coating your popsicles with cacao nibs, crushed almonds, macadamias and walnuts.
OR try these amazing combinations:
- Cacao nib(or dark chocolate) & mint
- Macadamia & Maple - drizzle maple syrup over your popsicle and then sprinkle on crushed macadamias - shake excess off and enjoy!
- Honey & Coconut - simply coat the end of your popsicle in honey and sprinkle over some toasted coconut flakes
- Basil & Coconut - you might think I am weird - dab coconut oil on your popsicle and use this to stick on fresh basil leaves - or freeze with the basil leaves inside the mould
If you have popped it into a container you can do one of two things when you are ready to eat it:
Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before eating for a smooth and creamy consistency - you can even spoon some into a small container and put in your lunch box for the day - by morning tea you will have a smooth and creamy snack!
Using a spoon or knife, shave off thin layers and enjoy granita style!
I hope you enjoy - have you made fro-yo or ice cream before?
Tell me what you think, I would love to hear your thoughts!