Banana & Chia Muffins with Peanut Butter Cream Icing & Dark Chocolate
Time to get baking! A muffin recipe to please everybody! Naughty but nice - if you just want a wholesome wholefood muffin or a completely vegan treat then skip the icing and add the dark chocolate to the mix - and to make gluten free swap the flour for a flour of your choice.
Wholemeal flour, chia and nuts make these a great mid-morning treat for keeping you feeling full until lunch time - full of healthy fibre and good fats.
I used mini muffin pans - if you want to use full sized muffin pans then increase the cooking time by 5-10 minutes - you will know they are cooked when you insert a skewer and it comes out clean, although keep in mind there could be larger pieces of mushy banana in your mix.
Banana & Chia Muffins With Peanut Butter Cream Icing & Dark Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup wholemeal flour of your choice
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup LSA
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped dates
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana's
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste/essence
Peanut Butter Cream Icing
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
To make vegan just leave out the butter and add extra peanut butter or coconut oil - although the coconut oil can melt a little easier when they are taken out of the fridge!
Preheat your oven to 180'C
- Put the chia seeds in a small bowl and stir in 1 cup of water. Keep stirring for a few minutes before covering and putting in the fridge for about 10 minutes. I'd use this time to set up my muffin/cupcake tray with patty pans.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl mix the banana and vanilla - add the chia seeds and stir through.
- Fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon the mix into the patty pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While these are baking make the butter cream. Beat the peanut butter and butter together, slowly adding the sifted icing sugar in batches. Pop into a piping bag or keep in a bowl in the fridge until needed.
- When your muffins are baked and cooled on a wire rack - add about 1 tablespoon of icing and top with a few dark chocolate buttons.